Background

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Intermediate Distance Complete!

Hello my friends...

This is just a quick post to say that training has continued to progress and today KC and I completed our first intermediate triathlon.  We did a 0.9 mile swim in the harbor, then a 25 mile bike and a 6.4 mile run. 

After days of rain, today was beautiful.  I didn't notice the water temp being cold, though others said it was.  And guess what? I didn't panic in the water.  It was my longest open water swim to date (in the pool I have swam 2 miles w/out stopping, but open water is so different).  The last 400 yards were the hardest as we were swimming perpendicular to the waves and they were coming in on my dominant breathing side!  I swallowed some water but refused to stop.  I knew I was one of the last swimmers, but I was determined not to be THE last one out of the water.  I wasn't.

The bike was tough.  Its hilly and I was riding by myself.  I was only passed by one person and for the most part I was out on the roads alone.  My bike gears kept slipping in the big ring in the front (the harder gears).  Annoying as the gears it wouldn't stay in were the ones that I use most often! 

I headed out on the run and had forgotten to take my bike gloves off... I took them off as I ran and stuck them in my back pocket on my tri jersey.  After the first couple miles I settled into my pace and ran steady staying between 11 and 12 min miles.  The run was a little long but I felt good (though tired at the end)!!!!!

Yes, I was the next to last to finish the race.  However, as Coach said we were to focus on everything BUT the swim bike and run.  So, here is my checklist:

1. not panicking in the swim? CHECK
2. not stopping during the swim? CHECK
3. getting out of the wetsuit and having a good T1? CHECK
4. Nutrition? CHECK
5. Garmin transfer from wrist to bike to wrist? CHECK
6. Fluid consumption? CHECK
7. Not stopping for change or yardsales? CHECK CHECK

So, all in all today was a successful day!  I finished in under 4 hours and learned some things along the way.... namely I need to reapply sunscreen after the swim and before the run as I am a little burned right now...

Pictures will be posted soon. 

Goggles On!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Love the "not stopping for change"--too funny!

    ReplyDelete